Marrakech, Morocco

Arrival in Marrakech courtesy of Royal Air Morocco
The spices of Morocco
Ummm yum, getting my daily fresh orange juice for 3 dirham (20p)
Me with all of my shopping :-)
Ahhh the snake charmers in the main square
More spices...
Us in the 'Slipper Kingdom'
Our Riad's bathroom
Our beautiful Moroccan style room in Riad Bayti
The main area in our Riad
Belly dancers!!!!
Indulging in a Moroccan red wine...
Stop! The sign is universal, no matter what language. (p.s it was over 30 degrees but I had to wear this scarf to cover my shoulders)
Camels...
Simon going for a ride on a Camel
Off he goes...
Having a wee rest
See the camels on the back...
Having a relaxful time in our Riad at 'tea time'
Mint tea... sooooo good!
The main mosque in the square
Markets in the square
Shisha time!
Breakfast time...

Wow - what more can I say! We have just got back after four days in Marrakech, and still can't believe we were there! The most enlightening experience for both of us!

The sensational markets selling everything from spices and orange juice to the most beautiful leather bags made from camels... not too much tack from China which was nice... so many slippers to choose from and all of this goes with lots of bargaining! Simon was a bit scared to even try to start the bargaining after I got a name for myself as a Berber which is known to negotiate a tight bargain. hehe.

Was interesting to understand more about the Arabic culture and see how the north of Africa really works... the hardest thing for me to get use to was the way woman are treated. Whenever Simon was away from my side I literally had men coming up to me and telling me I was beautiful and just wouldn't leave me alone until "my man" came back... was kind of flattering to begin with, but after a while it became very annoying and at night, a little scary... even the Customs officer on arrival said "you are very beautiful" in the sleasiest tone you have heard!

On our second day we ventured out of the city to find Camels. We actually found them without having to go too far... Simon was brave enough to ride one, but I decided not to. Someone had to be the photographer right?

We were lucky enough to escape the hustle and bustle of the streets in our Riad - traditional large Moroccan home. Through the uninviting door you enter the peaceful oasis... just check out the photos. The only noise coming in here was the prayers that were broadcasted over the city five times a day... including one at 7am!

Better go put on some mint tea in my new slippers :) True Moroccan style...

5 comments:

sixmoore said...

Morroco looks fantastic especially the accommodation and the shopping. Where to next??
Pauline

Anonymous said...

A whole new never to be forgotten experience. Some great shots and we look forward to sharing some mint tea sometime - wearing slippers of course!!

Anonymous said...

You da camel jockey I guess means theres a pic somewhere of Nat da snake charmer?
You didn't say whether Simon got swamped by women when you were out of sight Nat?
So you drink mint tea out of your new slippers! What happens as they get older, you start wearing them on your feet? Some strange customs.

Anonymous said...

Now you are really travelling! That place looks great - Why did you squash that poor camel Si?
Was that Nat's belly dancing (O NO!! - too much beers!)

ma maaaaaaaaa
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Erick said...

I loved Marrakesh from the minute I arrived! Anyone planning a visit for the first time, and have worries/ concerns after hearing 'horror stories' please keep an open mind- I'm sure you'll have as great a time as I did!I always find it magical to arrive in a new place when it's dark. Speeding through the streets to my hotel, I tried to take in all the unusual sights. I spent days haggling in the souqs, visiting tombs and exploring the narrow streets, discovering more and more intriguing treasures along the way. Marrakesh is famous for its cuisine, historical monuments, property in Morocco and rich embroidery while its architecture blends a mix of European and traditional styles. I drank as much of the country’s favorite drink – Mint Tea – as I could. I loved eating like the locals - who needs cutlery when you have a lump of bread and your hands to use instead!